- Academic degree: Diploma ‘Sponsorship 360 for a Changing World’ from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 2 months
- Start: Start to be determined
Eight sessions of four hours from 5-9PM. Approximately one session every two weeks
Sessions on campus at the Johan Cruyff Institute, Laan der Hesperiden 118 - 1076 DX Amsterdam. Sessions at sporting venues, including a two-day trip to London
- Modality: On Campus
- Language: English
- Price: € 2,450.- Euro (excl. 21% VAT, incl. study trip, excl. flight ticket)
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available; ask for the conditions
- Special conditions: There are pricing options for organizations and former elite athletes. Ask the Program Manager about these options
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the program. Limited places available.
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” Johan Cruyff
How many times have you listened to someone explain something but not understood how it works in practice? In the fast-moving world of marketing and sponsorship, leading marketers must combine intuition with experience and progressive thinking. These are qualities which Johan Cruyff embodied throughout his career as a player, manager and coach.
At the Johan Cruyff Institute in Amsterdam we have developed an original, pragmatic and ‘Cruyffian‘ learning experience, designed for evolving sponsorship professionals with the title: Sponsorship 360 for a Changing World.
If you would like to sign up or have any questions after reading this page, please complete the contact form below, and you’ll receive the brochure with more information about the program.
The Sponsorship 360 for a Changing World program aims to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of sponsorship management and the necessary skills to develop a professional career in the world of sport sponsorship. Through a combination of individual tasks, case studies and team exercises participants will learn how to make critical decisions that improve their way of working as a sponsorship professional.
- How to analyse the sponsorship market and the role in sports marketing from a strategic and objective perspective in context of the sport business.
- Identify new market opportunities through a better understanding of key stakeholders, market segmentation and targeting of specific consumers and customers.
- Use innovative practices and models to develop sponsorships assets, package and price strategies to increase revenue from sponsorship programs and activation.
- Understand planning and project management techniques to deliver impactful activation concepts within partner sponsorship programs.
- Build brands through content, data and storytelling to engage emotionally with employees, partners, customers and sports fans.
- Assess human resources, legal and financial conditions to reduce risk or exposure to risk when planning or activating sponsorship programs.
- Career development and job hunting in sponsorship and the sports business.
The content can be applied immediately to current projects and will help build stronger brands, events, clubs, athletes and sports organizations through the application of sponsorship as a strategic marketing tool.
Just like sport, there will be ‘winners’ and ‘losers’, but everyone will learn!
We encourage participants from different backgrounds and interests that fit with the following profiles:
- Sports marketing professionals who want to gain more expertise in the field of sponsorship, sponsorship activation and management
- Students who have studied marketing and want to specialize more in sponsorship
- Representatives of rights owners, event owners, sport federations and sponsors who wish to develop a more strategic approach to sponsorship
- Individuals who want to make a career change into sports marketing, specializing in sport sponsorship
REGISTRATIONParticipants for Sponsorship 360 in a Changing World can register as follows:
- Individual application for sport marketers, sponsorship managers, brand managers
- Group package for organizations wishing to enroll two or more persons e.g. from sport organizations, federations, event agencies, educational establishments*
- Scholarship application for ex-athletes who are in the process of re-training to find employment in the sports business after a professional sports career*
* Discount: There are special pricing conditions for organizations and former elite athletes. Ask the program manager about it the conditions!
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSAs a guideline, we are looking for participants with these profiles:
- Aspiring managers with three years’ business experience
- Industry professionals with sports management and/or marketing qualifications
ADMISSION PROCEDUREThe admission procedure consists of:
- Please complete the enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program.
- The Admissions Committee will decide about your admission.
- Student contract will be sent to you, formalizing your student status at the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam.
- Accepted participants will be notified by e-mail, along with further information about the next steps of the admission process.
Do you have any doubts or questions? If you are interested in attending the program, but you still have questions after reading this page, please use the contact form at the bottom of the page.
The Sponsorship 360 for a Changing World program consists of eight sessions of four hours. The program will cover the following subjects:
SPONSORSHIP & SPORTS MARKETING
- Market Orientation
- How big is the sponsorship market?
- Where is the growth?
- Where are new opportunities?
- Sponsorship is a people business
- Understanding the landscape is critical to success
- Identifying the Customer
- Segmentation and targeting
- Data and insights: Understanding the consumer, viewers, players and fans
- Developing a strong value proposition
- Defining products
- Developing products
- Turning rights and rough diamonds into sustainable sponsorship assets; generating market demand
SPONSORSHIP PROGRAMS FOR PARTNERS
- Sponsorship packages: Preparing packaging and pricing
- Devising packages, tailored to specific brands or goals of an organisation
- Pricing conform market conditions
ACTIVATING SPONSORSHIP PROGRAMS
- Execution and delivering
- Operational success is key to deliver sponsor activation programs
- Meeting pre-defined targets; realistic and achievable
BUILDING A STRONG BRAND
- How to build a strong brand?
- Storytelling with content and data
- In a commoditized world, brands that tell memorable stories tend to resonate stronger with the audience using content, data and creative ideas
LEGAL & FINANCIAL SERVICES
- Legal & Financial Services
- Account Management
- Terms and conditions dictate the framework within which the sponsorship business operates which requires strong human, legal and financial planning
MEDIA AND MARKET RESEARCH
- Measurement: Evaluate success
- Research and data analysis as a fundamental requirement
- Identify room for improvement
- Working in the sponsorship business: Easier said than done!
- Skill sets that are attractive to different employers
- How to fulfil your potential in the sponsorship business
- Job hunting
STUDY TRIP TO LONDONThe program includes a two day study trip to London, where participants will enjoy visits to sport organizations so that they can experience the challenges confronted by sponsorship professionals on a daily basis.
Going into the field and taking a closer look at sponsorship in action is all part of the learning experience offered by the Johan Cruyff Institute. Each session is a blend of theory combined with practical cases, selected study material and presentations from professionals active in the sponsorship business.
NO ATTENDEES. ONLY PARTICIPANTSFor more than 10 years the Johan Cruyff Institute in Amsterdam has developed its own unique blend of learning through participation and exchange, which we call ‘Cruyffian teaching’. The ‘Sponsorship 360 for a Changing World’ program will challenge your thinking about sponsorship as a marketing tool. Instead of inviting 50 or 60 people to a conference, we keep the numbers limited to 20, which creates a more productive learning environment.
Participants will join their team mates, work together, get to know them and learn from them as well. Through a combination of individual tasks, simulations and team exercises you will learn how to make critical decisions that improve the way you work as a sponsorship professional.
OUR INPUT. YOUR OUTPUTThe Johan Cruyff Institute strongly believes the student is central to everything we teach, learn and share. Using ‘Cruyffian teaching’ we help students maximize their output and the outcomes they are seeking. Here are some of the principles we apply:
- Everyone contributes. We expect all participants to engage and contribute to the learning process. There is no hierarchy, no walls or restrictions
- Diversity in class. We intentionally bring together participants from sport, business and diverse cultures to enrich the learning process
- Professional experience. Our coaches and guest speakers bring years of experience working in sport, business and the sponsorship industry
- Competitive learning. Just like in sport, we encourage healthy competition amongst participants to maximize the output for everyone
- Expect the unexpected. If you are not prepared for the unexpected then you are not prepared to advance in the sponsorship business
- Personal and Fun. We believe that learning should be fun and not just hard work so we make a special effort to ensure our students enjoy what they do, individually and collectively
Richard Denton is responsible for the delivery of this program. He has been teaching at the Johan Cruyff Institute in Amsterdam since 2012. Amongst others, Richard has delivered the Marketing of Sport, Facilities and Event Management modules for the Master in Sport Management program. More recently, Richard has supported the Johan Cruyff Institute headquarters in Barcelona in developing online courses and webinars for education in sports management.
|Richard Denton Richard has been active in sponsorship and sport marketing since 1989, working with global brands such as Canon, Philips, Omega, Heineken, Unilever, Accenture and Tata Consultancy Services. The focus of this work entailed the development of branding, communication, sales, marketing, employee and customer activation programs through sports partnerships. This included the UEFA Champions League, Wimbledon Tennis, Ryder Cup golf, Formula 1 and the Olympic Games amongst others. During his career Richard worked for a number of agencies including International Management Group (IMG), Trefpunt Sports and Entertainment (part of WPP) and created his own boutique sports consultancy, bigdaddy in partnership with 180 Amsterdam. Today Richard is a freelance marketer helping clients to achieve brand, business and social goals through sports and educational partnerships.|
ALUMNI AND NETWORKINGThere are now hundreds alumni from Amsterdam, and hundreds from the Master editions worldwide (on campus in Barcelona and online editions in English and Spanish), working in various positions in and outside the international sport world.
Our Johan Cruyff Institute network will give you the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other students, alumni and members of our global network, and share your passion for sport and professional experience with them. We promote and facilitate continuous academic training. The Alumni Association of the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam, an initiative of former students, has started recently to organize events for their members. Our community is, in this sense, a network of personal and professional relationships, and its influence expands in the sport and business sectors.
CAREER SERVICESMany sport organizations and businesses with job vacancies turn to the Johan Cruyff Institute when they are searching for candidates with a ‘sport mentality’. The Johan Cruyff Institute can help to select and contact qualified candidates within the ‘Cruyff network’. We also announce job openings and new projects in sport throughout our media.
Moreover, the Johan Cruyff Institute has a partnership with GlobalSportsJobs. This organization aims to help and guide students and alumni in the labor market. Career partners serve as a key intermediary between potential applicants of the Johan Cruyff Institute and the national and international sport business industry (see also Career Services).
Most of the classes are delivered at the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam, located next to the Olympic Stadium. The Olympic Stadium hosted the 1928 Olympic Games, providing a link between the history and future of sport. This unique setting inspires our staff and students to excel in sport management.
Throughout the course some classes are held onsite at sport facilities in Amsterdam and London, enhancing the practical delivery of the program.