- Academic degree: Master in Sport Management degree from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 10 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of aprox. 20 hours)
- Start: September 2020
- End: June 2021
Monday and Wednesday (there is a morning and an evening edition). Regularly classes on Saturday
Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam
Laan der Hesperiden 118 - 1076 DX Amsterdam
- Modality: On Campus
- Language: English
- Price: € 9,159- (excl. 21% VAT). Consisting of € 8,409- tuition fee and € 750- admission fee. The study fee includes learning platform and a study trip (excl. flight ticket)
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available; ask for the conditions
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the Master. Limited places available
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
The Master in Sport Management is tailored for people with a passion for sport who value professional career development in the sport industry. This 10-month intensive program is delivered in English and explores the most important aspects of management applied in sport, where personal development of each student is key.
Due to our ‘Cruyffian’ style of learning, Master students develop business plans and strategies for sporting organizations during the program. They are eager to address the challenges facing the international sport industry, whether developing a new product or service, advising a club or sport facility, or even starting their own company. Many students walk away with the next step in their sport business career already in hand.
Throughout the academic year we motivate and support students in every way we can, to facilitate their personal development. Professors and staff ensure all students, each with a different background and experiences, will be challenged in their learnings. It will be a new step in your personal development towards achieving your dream position in the sport industry.
For further information, please complete the contact form below, and you’ll receive the brochure of the Master in Sport Management with more detailed information of our ‘Cruyffian’ teaching methods, alumni network and Faculty.
The Master in Sport Management aims to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of sport management and the necessary skills for a professional career in the world related to sport.
- Understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sport industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- Use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- Detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sport organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- Optimize the management of a sport facility and sport event.
Those who complete the program will emerge fully prepared to access a wide variety of business opportunities that await in the international sport industry, whether managing a company or organization, directing a club or sport facility, or even starting their own company.
Douwe Kapelle, founder and owner of Hockey Youth Education, is one of the examples of a businessman who followed his passion for sport and became a leader in sport management: “During the Master everybody is eager to develop their skills in sport management. This creates a very inspiring atmosphere in which all students help each other to reach their personal goals. So you don’t only learn from the teachers, you learn from the other students as well! This didn’t stop after my studies. I started a private enterprise with a classmate, and long after graduation we still asked our fellow classmates for advice”.
This Master in Sport Management is designed for ambitious athletes and sport and business professionals from different levels of education, nationalities and professions. We aim for a balanced mix of students with various sport and/or business backgrounds, which enables them to share their unique experiences and learn from each other. In all editions there have been several students with different nationalities and several athletes who have competed at the Olympics or international level, seeking their next career opportunity.
Notable alumni who have studied the Master in Sport Management in Amsterdam are for example: Esther Vergeer (wheelchair tennis), Justin Reid-Ross (field hockey), Edwin van der Sar (football), Ernesto Hoost (kick boxing), Lauren Silver (water polo USA), Jochem Schellens (Director, Sport Centre Papendal, Centre for Sporting Excellence and Education).
The Master in Sport Management at the Johan Cruyff Institute is for you, if:
- You are an athlete or former athlete who is looking for academic training in management to give your professional career a boost.
- You have know-how in the sport management sector and would like to formalize your experience with a Master, boost your future and/or expand your network.
- You wish to complete your education with a postgraduate degree specializing in sport management to create a future for yourself in the sport industry.
- You are working in the business sector and wish to focus your career in the sport industry.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSTo be admitted, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (Netherlands: HBO) or equivalent, or
- Three years of professional career experience in the (sport) industry*, and
- Fluent in English
* Note: Experience as an elite athlete is not required, but having developed a career as a professional athlete will be valued as work experience, depending level and commitment.
In addition, the Johan Cruyff Institute is looking for people who:
- Have an interesting motivation to attend the Master program.
- Have a passion for sport. We believe that a passion for sport drives education and development to become a leader in sport management.
- Are ambitious and wish to develop yourself for a professional career in sport management.
- Enjoy learning in a practical environment.
- Value an individual oriented approach.
- Are not afraid to step out of their comfort zone to be able to make a personal growth.
ADMISSION PROCEDUREThe admission procedure consists of:
- Please complete the enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program.
- We will contact you for an interview with the program manager.
- The Admissions Committee will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program, and decides on approval of your admission.
- Student contract will be sent to you, formalizing your student status at the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam.
- Accepted participants will be notified by e-mail, along with further information about the next steps of the admission process.
Do you have any doubts or questions? If you are interested in attending the program, but you still have questions after reading this page, please use the contact form at the bottom of the page.
The curriculum of the Master in Sport Management consists of 7 mandatory instructional modules. The Master is completed by developing and presenting a final plan or business plan.
- Definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Sport industry analysis
- Management strategies
- Resource-based business vision
- Creating sustainable competitive advantage
APPLIED SPORT PERFORMANCE SKILLS
- Personal performance
- Time and energy management
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Communication skills
- Marketing vs. sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Sport marketing strategies and plans
- Brand development
- The future of sport
- Digital marketing
- Data, Technology & Digitalization
- Exploitation of sport centers
- Maintenance management
- Risk management
- Tender & bid process
- Event organization
- Project management
- Volunteer management
- Economic balance of an event
- Event evaluation
- Data, Technology & Digitalization
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF THE SPORT INDUSTRY
- Financial report analysis
- Investments and enterprise evaluation
- Funding your business plan
- Financial planning
- Price strategy
- Creating profit: sales and fund raising
- Outsourcing: budget control
MANAGING, INNOVATION & LEADERSHIP IN SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Management competencies
- Leadership styles
- Managing people & processes
- Talent development
- Growing your business & managing change
- Business modeling & value creation
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Data, Technology & Digitalization
- Cultural diversity from a social perspective
- Cultural diversity from a corporate perspective
- Policy: from different perspectives: political – sport sanction body – social domain – corporate
- New media
- Developing ‘Final Plan’ / Business Plan
- Final Showcase presentations
STUDY TRIPS AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIESOur on campus program in Amsterdam offers visits to sport organizations, clubs and facilities so that students can experience the challenges confronted by sport managers on a daily basis.
The program includes an international study trip early on in the study year. The study trip contributes to various modules in the Master in Sport Management program, delivered via guest presentations, site visits and workshops. It also stimulates bonding and friendships in the student group, and many alumni consider this study trip as one of the highlights of their study experiences during the program.
The Johan Cruyff Institute uses a rich learning environment that fosters educational tools based on a student interaction model, which also enables students to share their unique experiences and learn from each other. Students will engage actively in creative challenges that require effort, commitment and intuitive thinking.
Through the academic year we focus on the personal development of each student. The professors and staff ensure that everyone is challenged in their learning. All the theory studied will be relevant, tangible, fun and enjoyable to learn by responding to the latest news, using case studies and having guest lectures from key note speakers from the sport management industry.
In order to stimulate personal development, one-to-one sessions can be arranged between students, Johan Cruyff Institute staff and professors for those who need a little extra support or guidance during the program.
Professors and staff encourage students to become a ‘Cruyff family member’ for life. The Johan Cruyff Institute will do everything to help students from different backgrounds and nationalities feel welcome and comfortable from the moment they step into our office. We know all our students individually and maintain contact with them during and after the study program.
The modules are delivered by professors who have held, or currently work in key positions across different areas of the sport industry and combine vast experience from sport, business and education. We believe in small classes, where the professors facilitate and assess the development of the personal competencies of each student to coach them through a challenging program with enjoyment and personal experiences. Professors know who you are and support each student in their own personal journey.
The Faculty is presented below. Please ask for the brochure to read their quotes and viewpoints on teaching.
|Henk Verschuur President of the largest Martial Arts Federation, member organization of the Dutch Olympic Committee NOC*NSF. Fulfilled several key functions in (inter)national sport federations. Instrumental in international negotiations with parties like ministries of sport and international sport sanction bodies. Professor of Strategic Management and Governance of the Master in Sport Management of the Johan Cruyff Institute.|
|Richard Denton Richard has been working in the sport marketing and entertainment business since 1989. He has worked for global brands such as Canon, Philips, Omega, ABN AMRO, Heineken and Unilever, across a variety of sport and events including the FIFA World Cup, UEFA Champions League, Formula 1, Volvo Ocean Race, PGA European golf tour, the Ryder Cup, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and the Olympic Games. His most recent position was managing director of one of Holland’s leading sport marketing agencies, Trefpunt-PRISM, from November 2009 until September 2015. Richard is now Manager Sponsorship and Partner Sales at Vitesse Arnhem.|
|Frans Boumans He is teaching in financial management since 1989 at diverse Universities. Beside of that he worked with different banks in the fields of commercial and investment banking with small and medium sized companies as well as larger corporates in the Netherlands and abroad.|
|Martijn van Westerop Working in various ways to support people in their development to become sustainable high performers in business and sport. Guest lectures at Webster University in Geneva and at the Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration and Technology (MSA) at the International Academy of Sport Science and Technology (AISTS). Specialties: Dynamic and innovative out of the box-thinking manager with a focus on development, learning, co-creation with an open and sensitive mind towards cultures and different backgrounds.|
|Paul ten HagPaul ten Hag is the managing director of the Dutch women’s football league. He has extensive experience as a Facility Manager. He worked for eleven years as Director of Facilities & Sport Services at Nike Europe. He also was Facility Manager at Holec Holland and Texas Instruments. Paul is an active and passionate sport fan. He was also the director of the Dutch Archery Federation. Paul is the core professor of the Module Sport & Facility / Event Management, and responsible for monitoring the content of that program.|
|Mark Haans Mark is a Management Consultant since 1991. Firm believer of the importance of people(management) in achieving durable results and success. Started on a factory shop floor within Philips and becoming a managing partner in Beteor (former Philips Internal Consulting Group) in 1999. Started as an entrepreneur in 2002 with the foundation of OOR bv. Worked as a management consultant in different sectors: Industry (Philips, NXP Semiconductors, ASML, Heerema offshore), Financial services (Interpolis, Rabobank, Achmea, DELA), Public services & health (hospitals and elderly care) and Education (Fontys university, Summa College). Specialties: Strategy deployment, Internal organisation (structure, steering, processes & culture), making self-organisation work, The paradox of leadership. Mark is, together with Ad, responsible for the module Managing, Innovation & Leadership in Sport Organizations and the Master Final Plan Module.|
|Ad van den Heuvel Ad is partner and management consultant at OOR since 2003. He worked in different sectors: Financial services (Interpolis, Rabobank, Achmea), Public services & health (GGD GHOR, OG Heldring, Sint Jacob, Lunet zorg), Education (Avans, Summa College, Unicoz), Regional economic development (Brainport Eindhoven, Midpoint Brabant). Ad started in economic research at Economic Institute for SME’s (1984-1988) and Postbank (1988-1990), followed by several jobs at Rabobank in organizational development and management consultancy (1990-1999). Before joining OOR he was management consultant and account manager at &Samhoud consultancy (1999-2003). Strong believer of making organizations better by using the knowledge, experience, insights and voice of employees on every level in the organization. Specialties: vision- and strategy development, team development, moderation of customer and employee ‘arena’s’ and work conferences. Ad is, together with Mark, responsible for the module Managing, Innovation & Leadership in Sport Organizations and the Master Final Plan Module.|
ALUMNI AND NETWORKINGThe Master in Sport Management in Amsterdam averages around 30 to 40 students per year. There are now hundreds alumni from Amsterdam, and hundreds from the Master editions worldwide (on campus in Barcelona and online editions in English and Spanish), working in various positions in and outside the international sport world.
Our Johan Cruyff Institute network will give you the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other students, alumni and members of our global network, and share your passion for sport and professional experience with them. We promote and facilitate continuous academic training. The Alumni Association of the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam, an initiative of former students, has started recently to organize events for their members. Our community is, in this sense, a network of personal and professional relationships, and its influence expands in the sport and business sectors.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Master in Sport Management, you will have access to our digital learning platform that supports your academic progress 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students, facilitating e-mails, chats, videos, books, articles, cases, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience complete, interactive and rewarding.
CAREER SERVICESMany sport organizations and businesses with job vacancies turn to the Johan Cruyff Institute when they are searching for candidates with a ‘sport mentality’. The Johan Cruyff Institute can help to select and contact qualified candidates within the ‘Cruyff network’. We also announce job openings and new projects in sport throughout our media.
Moreover, the Johan Cruyff Institute has a partnership with GlobalSportsJobs. This organization aims to help and guide students and alumni in the labor market. Career partners serve as a key intermediary between potential applicants of the Johan Cruyff Institute and the national and international sport business industry (see also Career Services).
Most of the classes are delivered at the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam, located next to the Olympic Stadium. The Olympic Stadium hosted the 1928 Olympic Games, providing a link between the history and future of sport. This unique setting inspires our staff and students to excel in sport management.
Throughout the academic year some classes are held onsite at sport facilities located throughout The Netherlands, enhancing the practical delivery of the program. Find out more about the locations by asking for the Master in Sport Management brochure.